Our Cancer Support Nurse is a registered nurse who has undertaken additional education in cancer care and specialises in the support of people affected by cancer.
The Cancer Support Nurse can provide:
- Links to services
How can the Cancer Support Nurse help?
- Assist patients to understand their diagnosis
- Supports patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment at PDH
- Provide information regarding treatment, such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy and hormone therapy.
- Explain specific tests the patient may need to undergo.
- Provide links between services to assist cancer patients to manage their diagnosis and treatment.
- Provide information and contacts for cancer services: locally, regionally and state-wide as necessary.
- Communicate on behalf of the patient with the Doctors and other health providers to ensure the patient needs are met.
- Provide information on local support groups: Oncology Rehab Program, Look Good Feel Better Program
- Attendance at Oncology Telemedicine appointments with the patient and carer available at Portland District Health.
- Provide cancer education for patients, community groups and health professionals.
- Facilitates the PDH cancer support group which is an informal gathering once per month for an informal catch up (coffee & chat) with others who are on the cancer journey
Consultations may be arranged in the privacy of the clients home, at the Portland District Health Cancer Resource Centre, over the phone, or via email.
Who can contact the Cancer Support Nurse? The Cancer Support Nurse may be contacted directly by people with a cancer diagnosis, family members and care givers.
No costs are associated with the service.
The Portland District Health Cancer Support Nurse is part of an established network of Cancer Link Nurses throughout the Barwon South West Region.
Office Hours: Tuesday & Thursday 8.30am to 5.00pm
Office Location: Cancer Resource Centre in the Health Services Building, Portland District Health
Contact Details: Phone: (03)55210674 Fax: (03) 55210625 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org