Perioperative Services at PDH
The Operating Suite at Portland District Health is open for elective surgery Monday to Friday 7am to 7pm. We also offer a 24 hour seven days a week service for emergency surgery.
What we do:
Perioperative Services include the following surgical specialties:
- General surgery (eg bowel surgery, cholecystectomy, hernia repairs)
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Orthopaedic (eg joint replacement)
- Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT)
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Plastic Surgery (not elective cosmetic)
- Dental and Facio-Maxillary
At the Pre-Admission Clinic you can discuss your surgery with a nurse to address any concerns you may have. Please refer to the Surgical Patient Information Booklet.
The Day Procedure Unit (DPU) provides pre and post-operative care for patients who do not need to stay overnight in hospital.
Central Sterilising and Supply Department (CSSD)
A sub unit within the Theatre complex, which washes, disinfects, packs and sterilises reusable medical equipment. All processing is in accordance with the Australian/New Zealand Standard 4187:2014 (2) and the Infection Control Guidelines for the prevention and transmission of infectious diseases in the health care setting.
Who we care for
- People in the local Portland ,and wider community (Glenelg Shire)
- People referred for services available at Portland District Health
- People admitted as in-patients
What to bring
Please refer to the Surgical Patient Information Booklet.
After your operation
If you have a procedure performed under a general anaesthetic or intravenous sedation, you MUST have a family member or support person to drive you home.
A person must also stay with you (at home) for 24 hours after the procedure.
If you do not have a carer please notify the Pre Admission Clinic on 5521 0664 as soon as possible.
The anaesthetic drugs will affect you for up to 24 hours. For more information please refer to the Surgical Patient Information Booklet.